1 1/4 year update (sept 2018)

INTRO: Considering the upcoming article in the New York Times that I've told practically no one about prior to its release, I've decided to provide an unplanned update at 1 1/4 years instead of 1 1/2. I don't really wish to dig too deep into the finances like you would see in previous entries, but I'll try to make it worth your while.


FINANCES: Over the past three months, the portfolio has gone from $1.146M (June 1) to $1.144M (July 1) to $1.172M (August 1) to $1.191M (September 1). It peaked at $1.199M on August 29. Living expenses have been approximately $3500 (June), $2500 (July), and $3500 (August). I have no idea what to make of this market other than to think it's simply a case of TINA. At this point, $36k/yr is effectively a 3% spend rate ($30k/yr was my goal spend rate; $35k/yr is our spend rate after year one). Due to side-income, withdrawals would have remained around 2% without the inheritance. As it stands, we'll probably still have a negative overall withdrawal rate at the end of 2018.


EXPERIENCES: Since my one-year retirement anniversary, I have been working on a collection of short stories for a dystopian sci-fi novel, volunteering as an ESL teacher for intermediate students, increasing my running mileage to 49 per week in order to break the 1:25 half-marathon barrier, and spending too much time on the internet following political developments. Interests in baseball cards, Diablo 3, and classic movies have come and gone yet again. I read Duane Tudahl's book on the Purple Rain studio sessions. I cleaned out a great deal of childhood stuff that I kept for no real good reason. I guess my biggest highlight was beating the family record in the one mile run. My dad ran a 5:30 in the Army in 1965; I managed a 5:19 in July.


UPCOMING: The next three months should be heavy on running with a half-marathon in October and a full-marathon in December, only if I remain reasonably pain free. I wouldn't mind being able to finish the short story collection. I'm holding my breath for Mueller. I will continue volunteering as an ESL teacher until at least December. Oscar season should be heating up. I'll try not to turn 40, but no promises. And as the kids are all saying these days, I'll be doing whatever the fuck I want.


ADDENDUM: Given that I believe a lot of people are going to be reading this, I want to say something that I think is important: Do not compare your life with someone else's highlight reel. I have worries, concerns, and troubles just like everyone else. You're just not going to hear about everything in my personal life on this blog, okay? Go daydream and be happy.