RRCA Tennessee State Marathon Championship

Training

Four days per week, average of 39mpw over past eight weeks.

Pre-race

Two hours of sleep, two hours of driving, one hour of waiting. Coldest day in 40 year history of race. 19F windchill with 15mph winds.

Race

Started out in the lead. Ran with a guy for the first 16 miles. He kept catching up and fading back again. I couldn't see anyone behind us. At Mile 12, I thought someone had caught us but it was a half-marathoner (group start). My fingers and lips went numb at Mile 17. I looked back at Mile 18 and my friend was gone. I was in disbelief. I only took two gels the whole race because of my stomach. This decision caught up with me in the hills at the start of Mile 24. I knew I had a shot at the (fairly new) course record of 2:59:12 if I pushed at the end, and I came through with a 2:59:04. Tough course. Probably worth a 2:54-2:55 on flatter, calmer conditions.

Post-race

I've never won a race in my life. I cried when no one was looking. Brutally cold. Female winner went to hospital from hypothermia. It's a two-year-old course, and a two-year-old certification as the state championship, but I'm now the course record holder and oldest person to win it!