twelve month update (june 2018)

**Spending**: Living expenses for the month came to $1999. This is $774 under the 2018 monthly targeted amount of $2773. Our spending is 27.9% under budget for the month, 8.1% over for the year, and 14.9% over since retirement. We generated $1039 of income this month from my wife wanting to work and some of my old book royalties. Our investment withdrawal was $960 this month, thus our pro-rated, annually-adjusted withdrawal rate is 1.04% for the month, -5.16% for the year, and -0.76% since retirement. Without the additional income stream, our pro-rated, annually-adjusted withdrawal rate would have been 2.16% for the month, 3.24% for the year, and 3.45% since retirement.

**Investments**: The portfolio went from $1,130,151 to $1,147,124 (a 1.50% increase for the month), which went down to a new total of (drum-roll) $1,146,164 after cashing the checks and paying the bills. This is a 11.73% increase from the original starting balance of $1,025,772. Since retirement, capital income from the investment portfolio has produced the equivalent of a full-time employee generating $53.14/hr of labor income. To sustain the original portfolio balance, $17.59/hr is the pace needed for COL based on spending rate; $-4.75/hr is the pace needed for COL based on withdrawal rate. Dividends included, VTSAX (61% AA) went up 2.72% this month (2.45% up for 2018); VFWAX (20% AA) went down 1.18% (1.39% down for 2018); VWLUX (19% AA) went up 1.17% (down 0.52% for 2018).

**Reflections**: This was our lowest spending month thus far. No significant purchases or expenses to speak of. The market recouped some of its losses from its February jitters. I had considered increasing my international exposure but am currently glad that I refrained.

**Experiences**: I won the very non-prestigious Strolling Jim Marathon on May 5 by twenty-three minutes. I pre-paid for this one as a backup before I won the state championship in April. I didn’t want to show up. I didn’t even plan on finishing the entire course to be honest, but I made a deal with myself to just treat it like a moderate effort training run. I was nowhere near 100%, but I broke the course record by ten minutes. I watched many more movies (about forty, mostly silent). I got lucky and bowled consecutive 170s on my first day back in eighteen months. I baked for the first time in my life (gingerbread cookies). I read a few books. I kayaked for the first time this year. I have averaged 63 minutes per day of physical activity over the past six weeks (running/swimming/cycling/weighlifting) with at least thirty minutes every single day. Running in the heat sucks.

**Upcoming**: My time at the museum has run its course. I no longer find it stimulating. I plan to spend time volunteering as a running coach in some local clubs and as a pacer in some local races. I’d like to maintain my current lifestyle of more reading, kayaking, bowling, running, cycling, swimming, and watching classic films. I will try my best to do whatever the fuck I want.