two month update (aug 2017)

Two months into retirement at 38 with a planned 3% SWR on a starting value of 1,025,772. That works out to 2564/month, or 2064/month with $6000 yearly in lump expenses. (2k vacation, 1k property tax, 500 professional license tax, 500 christmas, 500 car insurance summer, 500 car insurance winter, 1k unexpected)

This month's spending was $2640 (up from $2352), including $500 from the yearly column for "summer car insurance." So we're 3% over budget for the month, but 3% under for the year. We brought in $1127 thru my wife's job (which she likes and would do for free) and some old book royalties of mine. Our withdrawal was $1513 this month, which is effectively a 1.74% pro-rated SWR (1.46% pro-rated SWR average this year).

The portfolio appreciated again this month from 1,039,471 to 1,056,090 (a 1.60% increase), which dropped back down to a new total of (drum-roll) 1,054,577 after paying the bills (2.8% increase in two months, after expenses). If the year-end value is higher than the starting value, I might recalculate a new 3% SWR value and go forward from there since 3% is in historically safe territory. Or I might reset the clock at the end of the year and set aside everything over one million as a separate fund to draw from without guilt, while maintaining a 3% 30k withdrawal goal.

Spending was a lot higher this month, and I can't really see a good reason, but I'm not too concerned given that I don't have enough data yet and that the market is doing well. I don't budget per se, just monitor. Accomplishments for the month include more reading (especially paleontology and astronomy), more housework, more yardwork, more cooking, more running (now up to 25 mpw with a goal of a 1:25 HM in Oct and 3:00 FM in Dec), more weightlifting, completing the vast majority of my CE requirements for my profession, faster Rubik's cube solves, seeking out volunteer opportunities, learning to play the taishokoto, continued daily journal, visiting old places from my childhood that I had not seen in thirty years, first ever river kayaking, first ever barbecue as the grillmaster, doing my first painting (the startup supplies for this were expensive now that I think about it), and planning upcoming vacations. On the downside, I played way too much Diablo 3.

I again only spent about 5-10 minutes on financial independence sites this month due to a lack of interest. I'm too busy with life. I have noticed that my stress levels are way down. A friend of mine said the sense of dread from my face was now gone.