end of year 2020

 

Spending: Living expenses for 2020 came to $39,458 (max budget $41,736). We generated $8,045 of income this year from some almost entirely passive stuff. Our investment withdrawal was $31,413 this year, thus our pro-rated, annually-adjusted withdrawal rate was 1.51% for the year (max budget 2%). Without the additional income stream, our withdrawal rate would have been 1.89% for the year. Spending guideline for 2021 will be $46,858 (2% of net worth). Our net worth has gone from $1,333,772 (start) to $2,342,926 (current). Did I panic when the market corrected 40%? No. Howling monkeys are always gonna howl. I rode it out, got all of it back, and padded the portfolio even further. The New York Times reached out to me again in March to see if I was financially ruined, but I had to disappoint them.

Experiences: I ran nearly 2000 miles after my competitive running career came to a close (personal records: 5:12 mile, 17:37 5k, 36:39 10k, 1:17:38 HM, 2:43:12 marathon). That’s way down from 3000 miles in 2019, but I switched over to cycling (2000 miles) primarily during the summer (marathon training carried over, so my wattage [261w / 3.6 FTP] would put me around a good Cat 4 or bad Cat 3 racer if I ever were to compete). I allowed the pandemic and others’ imbecilic denial of reality surrounding the pandemic to make this a less productive year. I mostly stayed home and stuck with existing hobbies (reading, gaming, watching movies, web browsing, vintage card/nintendo collecting, hiking, bird watching, shopping for my parents, following the near demise of our republic). I even reapplied with my old employer and the state volunteer medical core to help with immunizations for the upcoming year, but I am apparently not wanted.

Upcoming: In 2021, I want to get vaccinated so that I can return to society, learn to swim effectively without a snorkel, learn to play some basic piano, look into becoming a race director, continue running for my physical/mental health, find some new volunteer opportunities, decrease my time in the digital world, spend more time with existing hobbies, make up for lost traveling (California #3, Hawaii #2, Japan #3), and continue to do whatever the fuck I want.