end of year 2021

**Spending**: Living expenses for 2021 came to $57,678 (max budget $46,848). We generated $20,167 of income this year from some almost entirely passive stuff. Our investment withdrawal was $37,511 this year, thus our pro-rated, annually-adjusted withdrawal rate was 1.60% for the year (max budget 2%). Without the additional income stream, our withdrawal rate would have been 2.46% for the year. Our net worth has gone from $1,333,772 (start) to $3,551,075 (current). Now I just buy things when I want them without thinking about it. A 43-acre tract of property that I bought for $250,000 in 2019 went under contract with a developer for $2.15M ($50k/acre) in 2021, but the sale fell through because the county is not allowing further development at the moment. For purposes of accounting, I place the value of it at only $688k ($16k/acre) since that is more in line with recent sales, but I have little doubt that I will be contacted again in the future. The student loans that I took over are going to be forgiven in 25 years because I switched to a non-existent-income-based payment plan that will forgive the leftover amount at that time. Thank you John Q. Taxpayer.

 

**Experiences**: I ran over 4000 miles after my competitive running career came to a close (personal records: 5:12 mile, 17:37 5k, 36:39 10k, 1:17:38 HM, 2:43:12 marathon). I helped some friends of mine achieve their running goals. I allowed the pandemic to make this another less-than-productive year. I mostly stayed home and stuck with existing hobbies (reading, gaming, watching movies, web browsing, nintendo collecting, Garbage Pail Kid collecting, hiking, bird watching, visiting friends, following the intellectual rot of our republic).

 

**Upcoming**: I want to travel when the pandemic is under control and make up for lost time (California #3, Hawaii #2, Japan #3). I want to continue with my hobbies and find some new ones. I want to find some new volunteer opportunities. I want to spend less time online. I will continue to do whatever the fuck I want. My five-year retirement anniversary (June 2022) will be my final post.